The LEHR Propane Outboards are one of a kind. In fact, they are the only propane powered outboard motors. So when we tested the LEHR 2.5hp Propane Outboard on the Frontier 12 recently, it very likely was the first time a kayak was powered by a propane outboard!
Bottom line, this is a winning combination! The stability and performance of the Frontier is a perfect fit for the LEHR propane outboard. The Frontier flies through the water, planes easily, and handles great.
- Lightweight – The 2.5hp outboard weighs only 37lbs
- Quiet – Much less noise than a gas outboard.
- Clean – 98% less emissions…great for the environment and your health
- Awesome Power – The LEHR outboard pushed the Frontier thorugh the water with ease, with both 1 and 2 passengers.
- Ready to Go -The LEHR outboard drops right on the Frontier’s transom, no special adapter brackets are required.
- Fuel Canisters – Best of all, the LEHR outboard runs off standard camp stove propane canisters, which provide 4-6 hours of use. At less than 1lb and $5 each, that is a winner!
Things to Improve: While the motor worked great, we’ll be working with LEHR on a couple items to enable easier control and operation of the motor.
- Clutch switch – To put the motor in gear, the user is required to flip a switch on the side of the motor. Getting to this switch can be a challenge when using the Frontier solo. We’ll be adding a control rod to allow the switch to be operated without moving from your seat position.
- Raising/Lowering the Motor – Similarly, it is a challenge to raise and lower the motor as it requires being positioned in the stern of the boat next to the motor. We’ll be working with LEHR to develop a cable that will allow the motor to be raised or lowered from the seat position.